Thursday 20 April 2017

Going in Style (2017)

I almost forgot this film was being released until an advert appeared on my telly, and I was hooked from the second I saw Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine together.



In more recent years it seems that Freeman has taken any role that he has been asked to just because he can, and it hasn’t always paid off. I was ready to go into this with an open mind.


Going in Style is about 3 friends Joey (Caine), Willie (Freeman) and Albert (Arkin). The film starts of with Joey witnessing a bank robbery after being told he may be receiving a default letter, and having his house repossessed due to missing mortgage payments. He leaves and we discover that all 3 of them are having their pension stopped, so basically - they are all broke. Joey suggests to his friends that they should rob a bank, and with some training, and advice, they eventually get round to doing this.


I mean, really… there isn't too much that I can spoil, but there are some parts of this film that are pure gold due to how the story plays out. It keeps you hooked.
It seems like forever since I sat down and watched a film that was genuinely funny,   and a large reason for that is the cast.
In case you didn't guess already, I was really excited to see this cast working together, and they really did that, their acting styles complimented each other so well, and i honestly couldn’t imagine an alternative bunch of older dudes trying to rob a bank. You really felt for the characters, and believed how much they cared for each other and their families. Honestly, it made me think of my Grandad and his best friend and some of the mischief they may have gotten up to when left unattended, and it felt like that idea was in mind whilst making this.


Admittedly, i was surprised to see that Zach Braff was the producer of this film, but he pulled it off. I had no idea this was a remake until i was actually in the cinema, so i cannot make any comparisons to the way in which the original film was shot, acted, or paced, so i am taking this film at face value.
Visually, this film was nice,,, it wasn’t phenomenal, but it suited the type of film that was being show it was easy to look at. This was the same for the soundtrack, it was nice, and it again matched what was being shown.


This is definitely a film that I would buy, and watch again, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was nominated for, or even won an award.
If you like dry, classic humour, and think Freeman, Caine and Arkin are all top dogs, i highly highly recommend this film.



I would give Going in Style a solid 7/10. It was a great film, and I’m so glad I watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment