Monday 4 September 2017

Logan Lucky (2017)


In an ideal world, we all know I’d like to start calling Channing Tatum a dish, but let’s discuss the film first, shall we? Trying to make an action/comedy/feel good/crime movie can be either a complete flop, or an utter success. For me, Logan Lucky was the latter.
Logan Lucky is the story of the Logan Family. The first character we meet is Jimmy, a hard-working dad from West Virginia trying to do the best he can for his daughter, as and when he is able to see her. He is told by his ex that they will be moving away so he turns to his brother Clyde, and sister Mellie for support when he plots to steal funds from a speedway company. In order to do this they get in touch with convict Joe Bang, who is known for his successes in this area.
This story seems pretty heavy, but I was really surprised to see that it is actually quite a light, easy film, this however, does not make it any less gripping.


Around 120 minutes long, you have enough time to understand enough about the main characters, and empathise with their situation and warm to their characters. This isn’t so much the case for those in smaller roles, such as sister Mellie – it took me a while at least, to realise she was actually a sister, but this wasn’t necessarily problematic. Although a strong story, it seems to lack in some parts, and this is simply due to things not being clearly explained. For example, I won’t give it away, but something that you wouldn’t necessarily expect from this film because of how the story is set up happens, but I just don’t really understand why it did. Even with flashbacks, and later reflection from the characters, some points just don’t really add up, and perhaps this is something that desired more attention to detail.
As I said above, I think it is definitely a challenge to mix action, and comedy. But this film does it wonderfully. Whether it is the subtle comments made by the characters, or the bigger scenes displayed outrage at the fact that the next A Song of Ice and Fire books are not release (oh man, how I related to this), I think there is something there to suit everyone’s tastes.

The cast, really did do their job. Tatum, who plays Jimmy suited this role perfectly, he really did not struggle to fit this character, or consistently present this. I have never been too sure about Adam Driver, since the only (unfortunately) memorable performance of his for me, is Kylo Ren in The Force Awakens. Sadly, this put me off the idea of anything he is in, but he has gone back up in my good and I can firmly say his performance was impressive. Similarly, I can’t say I’ve ever been stunned by any of Daniel Craig’s performances until now, his character was convincing, and he was definitely suitably casted for the role of Joe Bang. This character – someone determined, criminal, yet extremely witty made this film for me. Probably my favourite part of this.

I can’t say much for the score or cinematography in this film, but honestly – for once this didn’t bother me, I can’t say that I missed there not being an obvious score, simply because there was so much going on. I mean, there was definitely one there, but I couldn’t tell you what it was.

Overall, this was a refreshing bit of cinema, and I’m glad I gave it a chance. Believe the hype it has, but it honestly is worth the watch. Great story, great cast, great film.

7/10.

CINEMATES - S

No comments:

Post a Comment