Monday 2 July 2018

Book Club (2018)


Image result for book club


Four friends meet regularly for a book club and have been doing this for 30 odd years. They all have different relationship dynamics, and different lifestyles but everything seems to centre around their longstanding friendships. They then start reading the Fifty Shades trilogy and start to re-evaluate their lives.

The story behind this film doesn’t develop too far from this. I went into it with very low expectations but it was surprisingly better than I thought. It had some depth, and it wasn’t too wishy-washy so that it felt like you were chasing pointless characters. We get a rough idea of what all of them are doing and how they got there, but it goes no further than that in terms of character development – and it was just the right amount.



I didn’t understand how a film about a book club could be interesting or have anything to it, but really it was quite well done. The comedy in it was a bit meh in places, but there were also some chances to squeeze out an absolute belly laugh. However, I am not a middle-aged woman so some of the comedy may have been funnier if you are older? I don’t agree with that though really. I think it was made quite well for audiences of younger women upwards. I mean, I could possibly watch this with my Grandma… at a push, but it’s definitely something you could watch with your Mum.

Candice Bergen, Jane Fonda, Mary Steenburgen, and Bill Holderman in Book Club (2018)

The pacing was a little bit off, as some parts really dragged, and it seemed like they really wanted to put emphasis on the fact that ‘funny women are serious too’. There was a focus on some characters more than other – as you would expect, because from the off you know who the main character is. Some parts were just eye rolling kind of stuff.

Jane Fonda in Book Club (2018)I can’t say I noticed any kind of a score, I’m sure there was music it was just obviously not memorable enough, and wasn’t complimented by editing.
For me, the stars of the show – as I had anticipated were Jane Fonda and Diane Keaton. They are funny ladies. The cast was well chosen really, they all seemed to complement each other and you could believe that they had a relationship that meant something. It seemed like the kind of friendship you want in your 60’s.

Overall, it was incredibly average really. I wouldn’t buy it but I would recommend it to the mums of the world.

4.5/10

CINEMATES - S

No comments:

Post a Comment