Tuesday 2 October 2018

A Star is Born (2018)

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga in A Star Is Born (2018)Everyone gets attached to a particular story more than others at some point. Everyone has a film that touches them more than they could ever expect and they leave the screening completely blown away, instantly looking for a way to watch it again ASAP.

I'm 23, bisexual, i love Gaga more than I love myself. I have a longstanding, secondhand perspective of the shit storm that can be created by drug and alcohol addictions. If it's got a queen in it, I'll watch it (even if it's only 10 minutes of Willam). So, for me - A Star is Born is that film.


That was a mouthful, right? But my point is, this film got me. I knew it could have a massive impact on me, but I didn’t think it actually would, especially not in the way it has.


A Star is Born, directed by and starring Bradley Cooper, and co-starring Lady Gaga is the story of Jackson Maine (Cooper) a famous country singer with attachment issues, a severe drug and alcohol addiction who is only certain of which spirit he is going to drink that night, and that his brother Bobby (Sam Elliott) is going to be there to clean up his mess.

Bradley Cooper in A Star Is Born (2018)

He bumps into Ally (Lady Gaga), a small time singer and waitress who has always been told she isn’t enough, is too ugly, and doesn’t have the voice and so begins their bloody adorable, enticing, hectic, exciting, beautiful, horrendous, romantic adventure.


The story itself is enough, it’s a beautiful story and for a sucker like me, it’s perfect. It felt real, I mean obviously not all of us are mad talented and bump into famous, delicious looking men that want to whisk us away and get our career going, but it showed how difficult things can be, and if you want them bad enough, and if someone believes in you enough you’re going to be able to do it. One of the best things really, was the fact that crucial parts of the story are hidden from the trailers, there are a couple of things I didn’t think were going to happen so they were nice (maybe not the best word when you know what they are, but you get my point) additions when I actually watched it.


The writing is simple, but effective. There are some twists and turns in this, some events that do not pan out how you’d expect, but the simplicity of how they are presented is what makes them phenomenal. This is compliment to the acting and editing really, it shows that a hefty script isn’t always needed, sometimes the talent that is there can be enough.

Sam Elliott, Bradley Cooper, and Lady Gaga in A Star Is Born (2018)The casting for A Star is Born is spectacular. I can’t explain enough how perfectly chosen each person was.
Gaga gave me chills, she exceeded every expectation I had before going into this screening. I knew I was PUUUUMPED before the film even came out, but that is simply because I felt proud to see her face for this movie on a billboard, and because I love her so much whatever she does. This is the same for Bradley Cooper, he is such a badass (dish), and I was buzzing that this was his directorial debut, I was ready to see what he had to offer and he didn’t disappoint.

As soon as the film started I had extreme goosebumps, the dedication from Cooper to make this a masterpiece is insane. Knowing the months of rehearsal and coaching he went through to make his vision come to life shows that he actually gives a shit about what he is putting out there to a massive audience. His performance was stellar. As I said above I know the shit that can come alongside alcohol addiction, and he did the role justice. It even brings tears to my eyes now writing this, just remembering parts of his performance that resonated with my life so well. I felt his happiness, his excitement, his genuine love for Ally, and I understood his escape through music. Credit where credit is fucking due. This felt like a different role for him, but one he should be proud of.

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga in A Star Is Born (2018)

Where do I begin with Gaga... she wasn’t acting, she was her character. You can see that she put so much from her personal experiences into this role. She knew the story, she knew the meaning, she became her character as soon as the cameras were rolling, and it shows. I cannot see a more perfect person cast for the role of Ally. I just forgot it was Gaga, someone that has the power to make you forget that are someone other than the character they are playing has a talent that deserves to be talked about. As well as that, her voice is unbelievable, anyone that denies that is lying - whether you are a fan or not, you can’t deny that talent. Even down to her writing for the film, just an absolutely beautiful, perfect performance.

Both performances from Cooper and Gaga were genuine, and my god were they memorable.



So, the score... I have heard it in my head since the second I left the screening. It was so powerful, it complimented the script and the whole story so well. The whole score was so pure, and different and just helped to tell the story better than I could have expected. The story of these two characters wouldn’t have evolved so well without such powerful writing, and flawless musical performances.

Visually, I think it was great. They were lucky really that they were in pretty places. You can’t say a sunny landscape on a motorbike is unattractive, that Gaga and Cooper kissing is unattractive, that a drag bar is boring, that a montage of different stages, and set ups are boring, it was great to look at.

I know i’m not the person anyone should trust when it comes to films - I mean my film of the year for 2017 was The Disaster Artist... my opinion is just one, but this film is my film of the year. It’s only September as i’m writing this but A Star is Born is it for me. 

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga in A Star Is Born (2018)

This is a must-see film, if you disagree with this that is okay... but for me, this film is spectacular. It is fuelled by excellent chemistry, and is a moving and exhilarating story


I’m sure there are flaws, but when you find a film with an average story that is made into something incredibly above average, it it flawless. I haven’t had this feeling about a film for a while, and i’m so happy this film was the one to bring it back for me.

What we thinking, I’ll watch this 5 times on the big screen and wait a week to pre-order this??

Congrats Bradley Cooper, it was the success you’d hoped.


8.5/10

CINEMATES - S






Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment