Thursday 11 May 2017

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)

You might have seen the tweets about this a few weeks ago, and thought… well, is a review coming? It was, it is, it’s here. I was lucky enough to catch an early showing of King Arthur two weeks ago now, and unfortunately couldn’t get my thoughts out sooner due to an embargo.

But that time is up and I can finally talk about it!

As I said, on April 27th I managed to catch a sneaky preview of the film, with thanks to ShowFilmFirst. I had seen the trailers once or twice, but was never gripped, and I don’t think I would have bothered with seeing this film had I not had this chance.

The trailer gives no indication of what the story is about, or how it develops and so on, so I did have no idea how this film was going to play out once I’d headed in and the film began. King Arthur is about Arthur (funny that…), played by the wonderful Charlie Hunnam, and how he lost his right as heir when he was a young boy, and was essentially left in the streets to fend for himself, and with the help of his friends, or workers, having no idea who he was, and he got on – obviously, just not with what should have been set out for him. Eventually we see the big scene where Arthur removed the sword from stone and it then becomes his duty to accept the hand he was dealt and overthrow the already ruling, King Vortigern (Jude Law).

I mean that seems straight forward, right? Not at all surprising for a film called King Arthur? Well, correct, nothing about this story was surprising, but at the same time it was. Written and directed by Guy Ritchie the traditional medieval story was adapted to fit a modern audience (in terms of language use most noticeably), I think very well. In addition to this, it took on the responsibility of including an element of fantasy. 


Through the film this idea grew on me, and eventually paid off, but at the start I felt a bit lost in regards to some of the creatures… why is that elephant so big? Who’s that spooky guy they keep showing? Then it all wrapped up, the story began to unfold and it all settled down and ended up making (somewhat) perfect sense. 

The locations that were selected, or created for this film were taken advantage of in some scenes, and parts were shot great. Alongside the musical score that was popped in it gave the film a certain ‘feel’, a sense of almost… uniqueness. I didn’t feel like I was watching something I had seen before because the nitty gritty aspects were quite individual. From reading other reviews, I have seen the Guy Ritchie has repeatedly been named the best thing about this film, and everyone is right. He is, and did we expect anything less? I am a fan of his work, and I think if nothing else – the fact that he is involved in this film is reason enough to watch it.

If you didn’t guess already from me calling Charlie Hunnam wonderful…. I thought he was wonderful. I was excited to see him in this, and he didn’t bloody let me down did he! He was casted perfectly to be honest, and it was a memorable performance, for which credit is due. The rest of the cast… it did its job, Jude Law is Jude Law, we don’t expect a bad performance, and we don’t get one. Did I believe he was the baddie? Yes, sure, the performance was fine. But other performances weren’t as particularly favourable as that of Hunnam, and some were even expected... of course we're going to have Aidan Gillen helping the lads out in a medieval themed film!

The issue King Arthur had, wasn’t necessarily the acting, it was more the pacing. Don’t get me wrong we had some great fight scenes, they packed them out, and they were great… but at the same time some were long. In fact, some scenes were really long, and I felt like I was in the cinema for ages.


This film wasn’t bad in the slightest, and now that I’ve had that time to digest what I’d seen before writing up, and being surprised with the trailers popping up everywhere again, I’d like to see it again. I think I would buy this, and would watch it (if I could dedicate to the what felt like 5 hours, again).

If you’re on the fence about this film, watch it. You never know – you might unexpectedly enjoy it. Overall, I’d give it a solid 6/10. It had its flaws, but had its fair share of redeeming qualities too. Not a bad film after all!

CINEMATES - S 


No comments:

Post a Comment