Friday 12 May 2017

Mindhorn (2017)

Umm… Mindhorn, where do I begin with Mindhorn. I was fascinated by the very idea of this film as soon as I caught the trailer before watching Going in Style. This was simply because I bloody love Julian Barrett and everything he is involved in, so as soon as I saw that dashing smile I was sold. I couldn’t wait for it to come out, even though I hated the trailer and I wasn’t ready for what the world was going to be shown. 

Mindhorn is the story of Richard Thorncroft (Barrett), who is the star of the hit TV show Mindhorn, in which he plays a detective on the Isle of Man, alongside Patricia (Essie Davis) his significant other, and stuntman Clive (Simon Farnaby), who is after Patricia, as we get a glimpse of the dynamic of the relationship the three of them share right at the beginning of the film, and then watch this unfold throughout.

Fast forward 30 or so years, and Richard is a fat, washed up, loser living in a flat in Walthamstow, who can’t get any work and is doing embarrassing television commercials, because he didn’t want to give up acting unlike his co-workers, who all appear to be doing swimmingly.

Back on the Isle of Man there has been a murder and the suspect only wants to speak to fictional Detective Mindhorn, this means the police can do only one thing, and get in contact with Richard so they can get a helping hand to catch the bad guy. Richard agrees, and from there the chaos and finally – a solution occurs. But for that result the ‘TV cop has to work with the real cops'.


As I already said, I adore Julian Barrett, and I am so glad Farnaby was involved in this film too, as he is also gold. Why do I love them? Because I am a massive fan of The Mighty Boosh, of course. Aside from that, though, I think Barrett possesses a genuine talent, and I have seen him in every role he has played and could never complain. I think he is so versatile and can take on any weird and wonderful role and make it his own. He owns Howard Moon in the Boosh, he left me speechless after playing Maurice Flowers, which was a touching performance… and yet again, I didn’t have any bad words when he played Thorncroft.


The only issue I feel this film has, however, is that very fact. The only people that will definitely see this film, are people like myself, who know what they are going to get before they even head into the film. It is, as I expected made for Boosh fans… from Mindhorn’s use of the phrase ‘Pow!’, to the use of the famous ‘you have passed the test!’ comment right at the end. The fake teeth and afro that remind us all of Rudi Van Disarzio, the dancing stroke fighting that Mindhorn uses. SO MANY SIMILARITIES THAT WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE.
Although I cannot fault the acting, or writing, or pure creative genius, the work of Barrett and Farnaby is an acquired taste, and I think if I wasn’t already so in favour of anyone who has been in the Boosh taking over the world, I’d have a problem with this film. I thought it was funny, but in such a tacky way, which is because we all know who wrote it, and the tackiness here, worked. The costumes, again were tacky, but it worked. The storyline, also cliché and god damn tacky! But again, it so worked!


The only aspects of this film I feel I can review are those that are obvious, as it is not going to compare to any other film I’ve chosen to review, making it quite a difficult task. Further to this, if you haven’t got it already I LOVE Julian Barrett… so I am biased. I am going to worship the ground that man walks on for as long as I can.

I would buy it, so Barrett gets recognition. I would say watch it so he gets recognition, and I believe the rest of his fan base will do the same. This is not just a film; this is a work of art that will come with a cult following.


Weird as hell film… 6/10.

CINEMATES - S

No comments:

Post a Comment